First Guest Post Ever. Meet My Wife. She’s Got News.

The Always Jacked family has some news to share.

It’s of a sort that I thought my wife, my better half in nearly every sense of the word, would offer a perspective worth sharing and much different than mine. Especially since our news — SPOILER ALERT — affects her so much more than me right now.

I stand aside. The microphone is hers.  But I retain the right to make the sporadic, parenthetical aside. Such is the nature of our relationship IRL.

Such is the nature of this post.

Early days with Jack.

Early days with Jack.

We always knew we’d have two kids. That was a given.

But three? We have talked — ad nauseum — about whether to go for a third or not. (Editor’s note: This is true.)

There were so many things to consider. We already have two beautiful, healthy boys. A third college tuition? (Editor’s note: Ack!) Do we have to get a new car? Can I handle a third? We would be outnumbered. Totally and forever outnumbered.

But these ‘concerns’ always gave way to what it would mean for us and the boys. And we both shared a feeling that wouldn’t go away.

Someone was missing.

Alan told me that 2013 would be our year of adventure. (Editor’s note: It was considerably less obnoxious than it sounds.)

In January, I was offered a great opportunity to work for a start-up company two days a week. He’d just started a new job. We were off to a good start.

Exactly two weeks later, we found out we were expecting our third child.

In those first moments, when the stick went all plus sign positive, I was only excited. (Editor’s note: She knew before she took the test. She always knows. I never believe her.) That changed pretty quick. My excitement turned to relentless nausea that had Alan holding my hair back more than once. Queasiness that was so strong it woke me up at 2:30 in the morning.

Meeting Reid, future comedian.

Meeting Reid, future comedian.

The boys would watch me gag and imitate the noises, laughing uncontrollably. Reid toddling about going ‘bleh blehk’ with a hand to his mouth was pretty common and entertaining despite my overall lack of enthusiasm.

While I was afraid (and literally cried) that it would never end, it did. Slowly but surely things got easier, my ginger gum habit subsided, and by week 14 life with my littlest one was feeling much better.

Wednesday was my 20 week ultrasound. Our little babe is continuing to look healthy as can be. Warm flutters and kicks are gentle reminders of all that’s to come once he/she (nope, we aren’t finding out 😉 ) makes an appearance sometime in late September.

Until then, I’m going to revel in the fact that this will most likely be the last time I’ll feel those familiar flutters. (Editor’s note: It is the last time she will feel these familiar flutters.) Or share ultrasound pictures with Jack. It’s an amazing thing. And the coolest thing about doing it a third time is that it’s not any less cool. Or special. Or exciting.

DSC01915-200x300It’s all those things times three. Because now I know what’s coming. More love. More giggles. More personality and dreams. More soft fingers and toes. More firsts. And two incredible big brothers to be had.

This maybe our year of adventure. But this. This is the adventure I’m most excited about. (Editor’s note: Me, too.) Growing our family of four to five. And while I know it won’t always be easy, I do know that it’s not just right. It’s perfect.

26 comments for “First Guest Post Ever. Meet My Wife. She’s Got News.

1. May 3, 2013 at 8:42 am

Congratulations! How exciting that your family is about to get even more Jacked.

I’d share this wonderfully written post with my wife, but she has those same “someone’s missing” (a daughter) feelings, and we have had several discussions about having a third. This post might put her over the top.

I’ll stay tuned to this blog to see if a third child produces even more Acks! than I imagine…
    Andy G recently posted..Find the Funny

• May 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks, Andy. And it’s funny. I never pictured myself as someone who would have three kids. But then, here we are. I blame the writer of this piece for making me want to do more than I thought I ever did.

2. May 3, 2013 at 9:00 am

Congratulations! I love how you added your two cents to your wife’s words. Now, can you talk to my husband about us having a third??

• May 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

While I appreciate the comment, I think you sharing this post with him is about as involved in those kinds of things the staff of Always Jacked is willing to get.

3. May 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

How awesome! Lemme know how the jump to 3 is- we’re contemplating it in the near future, too. Glad the yukies have subsided!
    Keely recently posted..Staying Mindful [Is Impossible].

• May 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Oh, I can only imagine the stories to come. Thanks for reading.

4. May 3, 2013 at 9:56 am

Congratulations and glad Mama is feeling better!
    Wendy recently posted..Am I (Gasp!) A Helicopter Parent?

• May 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Thanks.

And me, too. Believe me.

5. Nancy
    May 3, 2013 at 9:59 am

Time to go from a man-on-man to a zone defense!

Congratulations to you all!!

• May 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I think it’s more like Super Glue and duct tape.

6. May 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

Congratulations on the forthcoming new release \m/ \m/
    James Zahn – The Rock Father recently posted..Review: Marvel IRON MAN 3 Toy Collection (Hasbro)

• May 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

We will continue to rock the suburbs.

7. Elizabeth
    May 3, 2013 at 11:41 am

Congratulations! 3 is the best. 😉

• May 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

You should hear the shit we’re getting from the “2 Rules” and “Four is Not a Bore!” contingents.

8. Alice
    May 3, 2013 at 11:55 am

Love it! Third time is the charm.

9. May 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Such a sweet way to announce your wonderful news! Lara, I must say girl…way to go, not only for filling Alans writing shoes quite nicely but for going for a third!

10. April R.
    May 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm

THREE! Wow – congrats to all of you. Excited to read more as your adventure continues this year!

• May 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

If I get one post out a quarter after #3 hits, it will be a miracle.

11. May 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Congratulations! That is very exciting.
    Jack recently posted..A Father Describes Parenting

• May 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thank you, sir.

You win the ‘understated comment of the day’ award.

12. May 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm

As a 3rd child myself, my mother always told me that a couple years after my brother and sister were born she also felt something was missing. I’m thankful she did.

Congratulations and hope the next 20 weeks go smoothly!
    Jay – The Dude of the House recently posted..My First Baby Shower

• May 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thank you, sir.

It’s sort of like that feeling when you go on vacation: did I forget something?

That’s how we feel. Just something always tickling us that we had one more little person to make.

13. May 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Congratulations! We are still sort of on the fence about trying for a third, but I keep coming back to the fact that I’ve never heard anyone say, “Sure wish we hadn’t had that last kid!” (Maybe they’ve thought it, but…” At any rate, fantastic news, and I especially loved your children’s impersonations of your morning sickness. Classic.
    Stephanie @ Mommy, for real. recently posted..Mommy Vs. The Wasp

• May 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I hope I never hear someone say that, either.

Our biggest conversation, and it really didn’t last that long, was making sure that we were going for 3 v. ‘going for the girl.’ But really, we just want one more.

14. May 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Yay! Yay! Yay! Nothing makes me giddier than babies. And naps but mostly babies. CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!! I echo your wife’s sentiment about not feeling “done.” I don’t either, and my husband thinks I’m insane, like I’ll want to be knocked up when I’m 50. I just feel like there’s another baby to be had in our family–seems like you guys drank the Kool-Aid, too! LOVE IT 🙂
    Stephanie (www.whencrazymeetsexhaustion.com) recently posted..Second Place is the First Loser.

15. May 25, 2013 at 9:26 am

One kid closer to the Hanneman/Kercinik soccer team… I say we all go for #4 in 2014. We can call it the Year of Insanity.